Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Shabby Craft: Shell Water Globe

As promised I have taken photos of my shell water globe project.  I tried to keep this as eco friendly as possible using as many natural resources as I could gather.  

What I used:
  • Tall Duck Sauce Jar (or any jar you prefer) -cleaned and dried thoroughly
  • Shells in various colors and sizes, mine were collected from beaches, but you can buy them at your local craft store as well
  •  hot glue gun
  • glitter
  • stones
  • pearls
  • water
  • twine
  • raffia
  • embellishments 
 The photos will basically show you the order of steps.
  • take the lid from your jar and  slowly glue your stones leaving enough room for the lid to properly screw on.  *If you go to close to the edge it will not screw properly and will leak.  Build the stones up.
  • After you are satisfied with the height of your stones you can start planning the design of your shells.  I went with a simple look, but you can create something more elaborate if you wish.  I glued the shell to the stones and then added a few more shells on that shell.  Now set that aside safely so it doesn't fall.
  • Now it's time to add the fun stuff into your jar.  I used glitter, beads, small rocks that are used in fish tanks, small shells.  When you are happy with the amount of filling you can now add your liquid.  You can use any of the following liquids:
  1. water
  2. baby oil
  3. mineral oil
  • I used water, but oils will allow the sparkles to float longer.
  • Fill  your jar leaving about an inch from the top.  Carefully turn your lid upside down, make sure all shells and stones are secure first.  Screw your lid on carefully making sure it's lined up correctly with  the grooves of the jar.  Screw it very tightly and carefully flip it over.
  • Take your glue gun and glue around the seam where the lid and jar meet.  This will stop any water from leaking through.
  • Now you want to cover up that nasty glue, so this is where you can get really creative.  I used twine and raffia, wrapping it and securing it with a bit of elmers glue.
  • I added a metal embellishment of the letter "d" as a monogram style of our last name.
  • You can now decorate the top of your lid.  I built it up using shells, but let your creativity flow.  
I hope that you enjoyed this craft.  More to come :)
I now leave you with images!





No comments:

Post a Comment